National Honor Society Helps Food Pantry

Members of the National Honor Society help organize and count donations.

Jackson Day

In recent weeks the Afton Food Pantry has received an influx of donations intended to help the victims of the Roosevelt Fire near Pinedale. An influx of physical donations is always welcome but requires the good people who run the pantry to spend even more time than they already do dating, organizing, and loading up the extra shipments. When members of the National Honor Society received word that the pantry could use an extra hand or two, they jumped on the opportunity and ended up providing 38 extra helpful hands.

Emmy Heywood sorting donations. Heywood was one of 16 NHS members to help out at the Afton Food Bank.

On Thursday the 11th of October, members of the National Honor Society left school and volunteered their time at the Afton Food Pantry. While there students helped with all the regular activities at the pantry such as writing expiration dates on donations, organizing the donations into boxes each with specific items for families to take, and loading donations onto a truck for easy delivery to Pinedale. The students helped load and organize over 5000 donated items. There were 144 cans of Spaghettios alone, not to mention the 452 cans of tuna or the 327 packets of ramen noodles. There was an overwhelmingly large amount of food donated. Simply put, the Star Valley community has done an amazing job of providing for our neighbors east of the mountains in their time of need.

By the end of the afternoon many members of the National Honor Society were joking around about how volunteering had been pretty fun. Senior Maggie Gardener said, “I thought helping the food pantry was actually really fun and, to me, it was more than just a service project. It gave me a sense of what others go through, and it felt really good to know that I could be helping people and their families just by doing simple things such as carrying boxes. I also think it’s a great opportunity for people to help out their community.”

Senior Sarah Greenwald said, “Yeah, serving the community is dope. [Slight Laughter] But seriously, serving the community is important… if we all work together we can make the community a better place. And, of course, working together is better than working alone.”

Senior Tiffany Whitby added, “It was great to have as many people as we did. Working at the food pantry] is incredibly time consuming. The people who work there don’t get paid, and there’s times when they have to do everything themselves. With the twenty or so kids, we had we were able to plow through a ton of work in a lot less time and that’s real swell.”

A group shot of NHS volunteers at the Afton Food Bank.