Local Volleyball Legend to Appear in Sports Illustrated

Jacob Carlisle

It is well known that Star Valley High School is full of talented people worth noting. However, one person is so noteworthy that Sports Illustrated recognized her in their well known segment “Faces in the Crowd.” For those of you that do not know, “Faces in the Crowd” is a segment that features upcoming athletes. The segment has been running since 1956 and has featured over 15,000 athletes. In a new issue of this magazine, Sports Illustrated decided to pick Star Valley’s own Olivia Muir for her exceptional skill in volleyball.

LOOKING AHEAD: Olivia looking fresh in her volleyball uniform.

It’s no secret that Olivia Muir is good at volleyball, but it is lesser known that she’s the number one hitter in the state of Wyoming. Olivia also has the most kills in the state (kills being scoring after hitting). As right now, Olivia has 638 total kills this season. To put that into perspective, the second place girl in the state, Paige Powell from Cody, has 308 kills.

FOCUS: Olivia prepare to serve the ball at a Star Valley home game.

So now that it’s apparent that Olivia Muir is great athlete people like her coach Blake Peterson had something to say about her as person as well. He said, “Olivia is a hard worker, driven and strives to improve herself everyday. She has high expectations for herself and those around her. There’s no doubt in my mind she will be fantastic in college; she just hasn’t picked one quite yet.

GOOFBALL: Olivia jumps for joy to express herself.

It’s no surprise that Sports Illustrated chose Olivia to be featured in their magazine. When asked how she feels about being included in the magazine, she said, “It’s amazing to be recognized for something I’ve been working on my entire life. It’s a fantastic opportunity.”

NO “I” IN TEAM: Olivia poses with the volleyball team. She says there’s nothing more important than teamwork when it comes to volleyball.