Classroom Decorations Reveal Much about Teachers

HIGH: Mr. Draney's wife chills in the shadows of the Alps in this photo that hangs in his room.

Asefa Wetzel

“The objects you decide to keep, the ones that give you the spark of joy, treasure them from now on.” Mari Kondo.

Every teacher has at least one item in their class room that grabs student attention or means something to the teacher.

FAMILY TIME: This calendar hangs in Mr. Clark’s weight room and reminds him why he comes to work every day.

For instance, some teachers may treasure knickknacks on their desks or posters on the wall.

Spanish teacher Ty Draney said, “I’d say it’s the photo of my wife in the Austrian Alps. She loves to travel and that is when she is the happiest. When she’s happy, I’m happy.” One of the student walking to his class said, “I think Draney’s room has really cool stuff like the buffalo couch and all those race numbers and coach of the year awards.”

Math teacher Joe Wetzel identified his favorite keepsake as “my very, very old photograph of Teddy Roosevelt because he was one of the best presidents this country has ever seen.”

TWENTY-SIX: Theodore Roosevelt has decorated Mr. Wetzel’s walls over the years.

P.E. teacher Eddy Clark said, “I think my favorite item is by far the calendar in weights room with all my kids and my wife. Everything I do, I do it for them.”

Many teachers continue to  add more treasures to the collections in their classrooms. Good thing, too. Junior Jessie Loveland said, “I hate staring into spaces, but usually it’s not the problem. Once in a while I get off my seat and look around”.