Senior Capstone Classes Serving Community

Jacob Carlisle

A WORK IN PROGRESS: The historical house project in Afton before it was painted by the students of Senior Capstone.

Ah, senior capstone; a class where students are not bound by classroom walls. For those you do not know, Senior Capstone is a class whose soul purpose is to prepare its students for life after graduation.

Recently, Senior Capstone classes took on the large project of painting a notable townhouse in Afton. The house is on the historical registry for the town and was in need of a couple coats of paint. The project took a whopping 125 students and a total of 360 volunteer hours. Supervisor Mckay Erickson said, “Nearly every post-high school education, whether that be a beautician, some sort of trade school, or college and various college scholarships, requires a healthy amount of community service hours.”

Senior Capstone completed painting the house on Wednesday, September 12; the class performs service in the valley for those that cannot pay for the services provided. Erickson said, “Lucky’s Place, Habitat for Humanity, veterans, and the food bank are all places you’ll find the Senior Capstone class serving regularly.”

Senior Capstone doesn’t just do service. Right now, students are preparing to job shadow with members of the community. Job shadowing requires students to spend time with local people for careers they may be interested in. Students spend a class period learning about the field they’re interested in with first hand experience from a professional. The goal is to help students decide what they may want to do after high school.

Here is what some of the enrolled students have to say about the class and the completed project.

Sunghyuk Seol

Q: Was painting the house hard? Why was it a good experience?

A: It was a little bit, but it was good for the community. It was a good experience because there isn’t a class like it back in Japan.

Andrew Jeske

Q: Do you think Senior Capstone is a helpful class to have your senior year?

A: Yes, because everything we do in that class looks great on a resume.

Miah Atwood

Q: How do think Senior Capstone benefits you and the community?

A: I think the experiences we have in that class prepare us for the future while still impacting the community in a positive way. It feels good to help out those in need.

FINISHED PRODUCT: A Senior Capstone class stands proudly in front of the finished house.