Braves Suffer Crushing Injuries

TEARS AND CHEERS: Dean and Wyatt force a smile through the pain after a rough visit to the hospital in Rexburg. Both players broke their collarbones in the contest.

Hazen Erickson

This past weekend on the 7th of September, the football team left their home state of Wyoming to go play the Sugar Salem Diggers in Idaho. The freshmen and JV started the Braves off strongly. After the JV easily defeated their digger counterparts, the freshman edged Sugar’s freshmen out for win by 1.

The varsity hoped to keep the streak alive, starting off the game well and driving down the field. The Braves went to kick a field goal, but it was blocked, and that is when the wheels started to fall off.

Dean Shaw, the Braves QB , scrambled to try and recover the blocked field goal, but his efforts were not rewarded. Shaw picked the ball up just to be thrown to the ground by the opposing defense. Shaw, who was slow to get up,  suffered a broken collarbone on the play. He said, “As soon as I tried to get up I could tell something was wrong.”  And something was very wrong.

The Team turned to their backup QB, senior Wyatt Moore. Moore, the starter at running back, stepped up and tried to rally the Braves. The first play of the drive was a QB run right down the middle. Moore took the ball only to get hit, hard. He got up and immediately grabbed his shoulder. After toughing it out for a few more plays and finishing the drive, he followed Shaw out of the game with shoulder pain. Moore said, “I wanted to keep playing but the pain wouldn’t let me.” He later found out that he also broke his collar bone.

The Braves, not able to rally after losing two key players, took a rough loss to a very good Sugar Salem team.

Both players face a long recovery while the Braves look to bounce back this week.  Sophomore Brant Nelson will step in at QB for the Braves as they head  over to Riverton to face their first Wyoming team this year.

Nelson said, ” I am really nervous to start as QB, but Dean has taught me a lot. I feel like I am prepared to step in until Dean gets back.” Defensive lineman coach Jason Cazier said, “I am still very positive about this year. We haven’t lost a lot of defensive players, and I look forward to see how the team rallies around Brant.” Coach Cazier also said he is very curious about who will step up as the team’s new leaders.

1 Comment

One Response to “Braves Suffer Crushing Injuries”

1. Chance Williams on September 20th, 2018 11:18 am

My thoughts and prayers go out to dean and Wyatt and hope they get better and come back stronger than ever. GO BRAVES.

Braves Suffer Crushing Injuries