Super-Fans Back at It

MOB RULE: Superfine turn out in force for the first home football game of the years against visiting Black Foot on Friday, the 31st of August.

Tony Reyes and Asefa Wetzel

Have you ever found yourself at a Braves’ or Lady Braves’ sporting event watching the fans, not the game? If so, you have probably spotted the superfans.

Superfans are a different breed of high school students. For many years super fanning has been a big part of Star Valley sports. The art of super fanning at SVHS goes back to at least the mid 80’s. Mr. Fullmer, a 1988 SVHS graduate, said “I remember writing a story on them for the school newspaper. We called them Bleacher Creatures.”

CHICKEN: Spencer Larson dons a skirt and a poultry-themed hat to cheer for the cross country team.

Spencer Larson, a junior here at SVHS,  has been a major superfan for the couple years he’s been at the school. Larson was amongst his fellow football players who put on their costumes and went to superfan at a cross-country invite earlier this fall.

Larson said, “I think it went great it was an awesome way to start out the superfan season!” Larson pointed out the need to stand out when cheering for the Braves. He said, “It’s got nothing to dowith fitting in. Everyone is always thinking we’re crazy and that’s where the fun is.”

STAMPEDE: This is what football players look like on a golf course supporting a track team. Coach Young gave his players a choice: superfan or run. The choice seemed obvious.