Home Team Dominates Draney Memorial

Hall said, "The home meet was thus far the best meet I have had all season." She won 3 of her races and was very happy about it. She also said, "Overall I hoped that the season would go better, but hopefully at state I can reach the goals I set." As for he future, Hall plans to attend BYU and participate on their fall track team, and she is so excited. She is hoping to compete a few more years."

Last Wednesday, April 24, the 18th Annual Dave Draney Track Meet called for teams from Wyoming and Idaho to rally and compete on the Brave’s Track. The annual meet brings in hundreds of competitors and fans thanks to the popularity it has earned for its quality field of athletes and consistency. Coach Ballard Johnson said, “This track meet has been going on since the year 2000. It’s pretty old!”  Without a doubt, this year’s track meet will go down in history; records were broken, new heights conquered, and lengthy distances covered by talented jumpers.

Star Valley is notorious for it’s resilient and speedy distance runners, but the loss of the famed Shane Henderson mid-cross country season caused many fans to question whether or not the boy’s team would be the power house that it has continuously been. However, the boys came out faster and stronger than ever and have been dominating the track scene.

The dynamic 4x 800 team of Peter Visser, Dustin Brown, Wesley Kallgren, and Wyatt Peck came to the meet ready to dominate, setting a new school record with the time of 7:58.15. That is a mere two seconds off of the state record! The only freshman on the team, Peter Visser, used his opportunity to work with his well-seasoned teammates to push himself to be better. He said, “Running with all seniors has changed my whole perspective. As an underclassman it really helps to become friends with older kids because you feel more integrated into the team. It also helps being the youngest for our 4x 800 team because I am constantly being pushed to run harder and faster. Being a part of a team means that you are running for more than just yourself; your success reflects on your team and affects their success, which is some pretty intense pressure and motivation to do your best.”

This record-setting quartet was not the only relay team to walk away with a first place. The 4x 400 meter relay and the 4x 100 meter relay teams were also victorious in their events, proving that kids from little ole’ Star Valley will without a doubt give big schools a “run for their money.”

While running seems to be the main event that people think of when they hear the name “Track and Field”, SVHS is home to talented field athletes as well. Field events consist of long jump, high jump, pole vault, shot-put and discus. Junior Olivia Muir excels in triple jump while sophomore Lily Jenkins is known to catch some serious air time in the high jump.

Jenkins shared the secret to her success saying, “I spend a lot of time perfecting my form, and I think that it shows in my performance and the way that I do. High jump is my favorite event, so it is easy to focus and dedicate my time to perfecting the little things.” Jenkins placed 4th overall and still has two years to better her technique.

Chase Merrell, who also soared to impressive heights in the high jump event, placed second, jumping an impressive 6 feet! For those of you who need that height put into perspective, that is like clearing Ronnie Kaye!

Overall, both the boys and girls teams walked away from the track meet with a 1st place ranking. The girls smashed their closest competition by 49.5 points, with an overall score of 127.5 points. The boys team obliterated their competition, scoring 170 points overall with the next highest score being 55 points. Although the future of the track and field program is diverse, it is certain that Star Valley’s phenomenal coaching staff and proven athletic ability will continue to produce impressive results and tough competitors.