Anatomy Field Trip Gives Hands-On Experience

What is a cadaver exactly? A cadaver is simply a dead human body used in scientific or medical research. Like organ donors, someone who wishes to be a cadaver has to willingly “sign up” to donate their deceased body to science. According to the Orange County Register, about 20,000 dead bodies are donated to science each year.

Mr. Clove’s anatomy class had the opportunity to travel to Utah State University to visit the cadaver lab recently, providing more hands-on experience for the students. The cadavers that occupy the lab are donated through the Body Donor Program, which is run by the University of Utah’s department of neurobiology.

Mr. Clove

“We had a great opportunity as a class to go and get some real-world experience in the medical field. I personally gained some new information, and I enjoy learning with how the whole cadaver system works. I’ve been impressed with our anatomy students this year and this field trip is a good way to open them up to some new things.”

The cadaver program at USU is headed by Professor Andy Anderson, who has worked at USU for the past 29 years as a principal lecturer and pre-health adviser. USU students have used cadavers for many decades to learn more about the human body, but the cadaver laboratory located in the Biology and Natural Resources Building was built about 15 years ago.

In the past years, the SVHS anatomy class has made a tradition of an annual field trip to the USU lab. The Mountain Star had the opportunity to gather some thoughts from the trips’ attendees

Zack Thorpe

“It was really interesting to interact with a real cadaver. Cadavers themselves intrigue me, mostly because at one time, that was a real life person, with real experiences, just like us. Now they help us in more ways than we realize.”

Which is true, cadavers are used for many studies and experiments, ranging from crash test subjects all the way to surgical practices. Not only did students gain an understanding of the human body, but they also gained a new respect for those who choose to donate their bodies to help us all further our education. The cadaver lab is not something “gross and scary, but more selfless and giving.

SVHS and Clove both look forward to learning experiences with USU in the future years