Drama Mystifies SVHS With Their Murder Mystery

J Scott, copy editor/staff writer

Last Friday, SVHS’ drama program presented their play, Murder Mystery at the Murder Mystery, to the student body. The play follows an inexperienced theatre trope as they struggle to practice their murder mystery. However, as they are finishing up their rehersal, one of the actors is murdered! Hilarity ensues as they struggle to discover “who ‘dun it?”

Performing in a play is exceptionally difficult on its own, and is made even more difficult for the performers when their audience is a collection of their closest friends and peers.

STELLAR SELLERS: Millie played the role of theatre critic in SVHS’ performance of Murder Mystery At The Murder Mystery!

Millie Sellars played the renowned theatre critic Adele Sears. She said, “The high school is one of the hardest audiences to perform for. They are rather noisy, and when they see their friends on stage they like to catcall. It can be distracting for the actors and requires more concentration than any other performance.”

Despite these inherent difficulties, Sellars believed that the performance went well: ”It went great! There were a few bumbles here and there with some props and lines, but we did well. One problem I had was that I had a cold the whole time, so I was holding back a really bad cough. It was especially bad because after my character dies, I have to stay up on the stage for a long time. So I was holding back my cough so that I didn’t interrupt everything.”

FATALITY! – The explosive conclusion to the play stunned the students!

The hard work of the drama department sure paid off as it was obvious to anyone in the audience that the student body loved the performance. The crowd went wild during the final fight scene, and after the final twist ending, senior Brock Motzcus declared, ”This is the best play of 2k18!”

Traditionally, the drama department, led by Mrs. Venice Lancaster, stages a play every spring, and student body members in attendance thoroughly enjoyed the performance this year.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Drama Mystifies SVHS With Their Murder Mystery”

1. Josh Brandt on May 3rd, 2018 11:49 am

It was all right, but I thought the killer was Ms Scarlet

[Reply]

2. India Romero on May 8th, 2018 3:19 pm

It was very dramatic. I decided to investigate the other character’s behaviors. I couldn’t decide, each character’s actions seemed to point out that they themselves were the murderers. Tom sneaking off, that girl that was really nice…

[Reply]

Makayla Miller Reply:

I feel like the play was an overall success. We had a BUNCH of messups, but it was hilarious. Like when Erica took Gary of stage and he said “but the doorbell” and she said “I don’t care” (That wasn’t scripted😂😂) or at the end when Susan (my character) messed up on the ‘dun dun dun’ and the piano started playing funk music (yes, that was an accident). It took us 4 minutes just to gather ourselves up & calm down the audience. Almost everyone I talked to thought someone else was the murderer, it was fun to see who they thought: Tom, Sandy, Scarlet and even Susan. I’d say it was best drama 2 play in years!

[Reply]

Ethan Johnson Reply:

All I have to say about this whole experience is this: the real murderer is ALWAYS the playwright! Even if it was Susan or Tom or Scarlet (no one suspected Richard), the playwright scripted the murders.

[Reply]

3. Emily Mavy on May 9th, 2018 2:27 pm

Yes, we did have fun putting on this play. I’m sure most will be surprised when I say, of all the plays I’ve been in, this was the most stressful. I’m so glad we did so well, even though we skipped some things. Throughout the play I was messing around with stress balls I was able to keep in my costume. Before the first preformance, I was using the stress balls to try to calm myself down. I was a method actor like Gary.
    I’m glad everyone liked it!

[Reply]

• Drama Mystifies SVHS With Their Murder Mystery

News

National Honors Society Welcomes New Members

News

Yearbook Signing Closes Out The SVHS School Year

• News

Millionaire Club Visits Four Seasons

• News

Guided Reading Rumors Dispelled

News

Orchestra Trips to Salt Lake

News

Treble Tones Named Best in Show

News

Seniors Cash in with Scholarship Money

News

Barrasso Makes Appearance at SVHS

News

Anatomy Field Trip Gives Hands-On Experience

News

Star Valley High School Participates in Blood Drive