Shooting Club Promotes Youth Development

Kambel Jenkins, staff writer

Combining the words “shooting” and “school” has to come to mean bad things, almost exclusively. However, some student shooters belong to shooting programs sponsored by clubs like 4H, a youth organization administered by the National Institute of Food and Agriculture of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).

This club and its participants focus on “engaging youth to reach their fullest potential while advancing the field of youth development.” The four h’s represent personal development areas of focus for the organization: head, heart, hands, and health.

The 4-H shooting group we have in our high school just went through a training program and chose a leader of the group, freshman William Mondy. He said,

“4-H shooting is a pretty fun thing I like to participate in. Every Wednesday we meet from 6-8 PM. We just finished our safety program and we are going to finally be able to shoot May 2nd. June 2nd we will be setting everything up for the scrimmage the following day. In the scrimmage we will just be shooting around and kind of seeing our competition. June 17th we will be having our County competition in Kemmerer. July 5th we are going to Douglas to have our State shoot off and see where we place. I am pretty excited about it all, and it is something I’m going to use for the rest of my life.” 

The 4-H shooting program is something that helps teenagers and the youth to learn about guns and different firearms and how to use them properly. It also helps them in their ability to perform under high stress circumstances.

If you’re looking for a good hobby and one that will be entertaining, find William and talk to him about joining the 4-H shooting club and become a member to a group builds and creates character through the use of firearms.