SVHS White List Causes Stir

Remi Roberts, staff writer

High school administration has recently implemented a new whitelist system. This system is designed to take away non-school-related internet sites from the school-issued iPads of students with D’s or F’s. The system was put into place the week before spring break.

In order to keep using the iPad educationally, teachers were asked to submit all the websites needed for their classes to IT. The list is ever-changing, and many of the “white-listed” students have complained that the restrictions hurt their academics.

Administrator Mr. Rob Erickson explained, “The whitelist is the sites that the school uses purely for education, everything a student needs. It returns the iPad to its original intent; not shopping or web surfing. C’s are required for graduation, so we set the mark below C.” Erickson continued on explaining that the system was created due to teacher complaints. “Kids with suffering grades were on snowmobile videos or Amazon, so we thought ‘What is the best way to approach kids with bad grades?'”

Erickson admits that any new system faces glitches, and they are being addressed as they arise. “Teachers have been given notice a month in advance to get the websites they need for class on the allowed list. We plan to increase rewards and get a student committee together. Students with A’s and B’s will have to opportunity to have nearly every app from the App Store back.”

Many students haven’t willingly jumped on the white list bandwagon. Many let out a mighty roar when they hear the system mentioned. Senior Taya Merrell declared her dislike for the whitelist: “I do not like the whitelist because if people want to get their homework done, how can they get it done without websites?” When asked what she would do in place of the list, she said, “I would just not do anything. They should get the consequences of their choices and have self or parent discipline.” Along with Merrell, Trevor Clark shared his belief that “the whitelist sounds racist.”

Teacher Mckay Erickson likes the system. He said, “I like it because having some students with unlimited access to the internet get distracted, and they never get anything done. I see a lot of shopping happening. There are a few kinks in the system; hopefully, teachers get the websites they need on the list so homework can get done.”

Senior Lyndsie Ludwig said,” It makes it so you can’t do homework.” Her alternative idea is,”Let’s take away guided reading and provide a long lunch for everyone, and if you have bad grades, you should have to stay for a study hall.”

For now, it looks like the whitelist is here to stay, and students have two choices: Get better grades and have more fun with their iPads or let their grades suffer and continue to have their iPads restricted.

1 Comment

One Response to “SVHS White List Causes Stir”

1. India Romero on April 16th, 2018 11:33 am

I can’t do the homework that has links. For example, my science homework.

[Reply]

• SVHS White List Causes Stir

Showcase

Braves Soccer Scoring

• SVHS White List Causes Stir

News

Donkey Basketball Asstounds Spectators

• Editorials

The Real Reason We Need Guns

• SVHS White List Causes Stir

News

Guided Reading Change!

• SVHS White List Causes Stir

News

Prom 2018 Held at Civic Center

• Showcase

Spring Breakers Visit Exotic Locations

• SVHS White List Causes Stir

News

Students Headed to NYC Open Jar Institute 2018

• SVHS White List Causes Stir

News

Brave Cadettes End Season with Review

• Showcase

Lady Braves Kickstart Season

• SVHS White List Causes Stir

Entertainment

Redneck Amusements Mark Arrival of Spring

SVHS White List Causes Stir