SVHS White List Causes Stir

Remi Roberts, staff writer

High school administration has recently implemented a new whitelist system. This system is designed to take away non-school-related internet sites from the school-issued iPads of students with D’s or F’s. The system was put into place the week before spring break.

In order to keep using the iPad educationally, teachers were asked to submit all the websites needed for their classes to IT. The list is ever-changing, and many of the “white-listed” students have complained that the restrictions hurt their academics.

Administrator Mr. Rob Erickson explained, “The whitelist is the sites that the school uses purely for education, everything a student needs. It returns the iPad to its original intent; not shopping or web surfing. C’s are required for graduation, so we set the mark below C.” Erickson continued on explaining that the system was created due to teacher complaints. “Kids with suffering grades were on snowmobile videos or Amazon, so we thought ‘What is the best way to approach kids with bad grades?'”

Erickson admits that any new system faces glitches, and they are being addressed as they arise. “Teachers have been given notice a month in advance to get the websites they need for class on the allowed list. We plan to increase rewards and get a student committee together. Students with A’s and B’s will have to opportunity to have nearly every app from the App Store back.”

Many students haven’t willingly jumped on the white list bandwagon. Many let out a mighty roar when they hear the system mentioned. Senior Taya Merrell declared her dislike for the whitelist: “I do not like the whitelist because if people want to get their homework done, how can they get it done without websites?” When asked what she would do in place of the list, she said, “I would just not do anything. They should get the consequences of their choices and have self or parent discipline.” Along with Merrell, Trevor Clark shared his belief that “the whitelist sounds racist.”

Teacher Mckay Erickson likes the system. He said, “I like it because having some students with unlimited access to the internet get distracted, and they never get anything done. I see a lot of shopping happening. There are a few kinks in the system; hopefully, teachers get the websites they need on the list so homework can get done.”

Senior Lyndsie Ludwig said,” It makes it so you can’t do homework.” Her alternative idea is,”Let’s take away guided reading and provide a long lunch for everyone, and if you have bad grades, you should have to stay for a study hall.”

For now, it looks like the whitelist is here to stay, and students have two choices: Get better grades and have more fun with their iPads or let their grades suffer and continue to have their iPads restricted.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “SVHS White List Causes Stir”

1. India Romero on April 16th, 2018 11:33 am

I can’t do the homework that has links. For example, my science homework.

[Reply]

2. Confused Reader on April 20th, 2018 12:14 pm

In this article, Erickson states that “Students with A’s and B’s will have to opportunity to have nearly every app from the App Store back.” As a student with A’s and B’s, when will this happen? Will the apps available be a select bunch? Will the AppStore itself be open an on the iPads? It’s been more than a week since this incentive has been active and none of these questions have been answered.

[Reply]

3. Makayla Miller on May 1st, 2018 8:57 am

The restrictions on these iPads honestly make no sense. Kids are kids. If they want to screw around during class & fail school, then let them. It’s their lives they’re screwing up. Once they start getting bad grades, getting in trouble or even getting caught in class doing something they shouldn’t be then they will learn better. Probably.
    I understand the restrictions for looking up inappropriate things or anything related to that. But the restriction for music & email is stupid. I personally use email to get help with assignments, talk to my moms and yes, I use it to contact my friends. I tend to study better if I listen to music and I remember better that way too. I understand not being able to listen to music when the teacher is talking, but when the teacher says it’s okay to listen to music then we should be able to. Honestly, the restriction on google so you can’t look certain things up is also stupid. I have to do research for classes on there, I have to look up different things (like makeup ideas for drama) that most teachers wouldn’t consider important. I have to look up words that I don’t know. With these restrictions, I cannot do those things. Sure some kids get distracted by the stuff on their iPads, but it’s their fault & it’s their choices they are making. They deserve the consequences. So, why take away our freedoms to do with what we have & take the consequences for our actions?
    Most of the restrictions on these iPads make absolutely no sense & quite frankly are making learning harder & less fun. I am not allowed to get music for my guitar class anymore which will lead to having a bad grade in that class. I can’t access google translate so now I can’t translate the sentences I need help on in Spanish. And how am I supposed to write a research paper? My teachers say Wikipedia isn’t a reliable source so we can’t use it, and that’s ALL that I can research something on. I can’t even access the schools calendar. Thats just sad.
    I understand that these are the schools iPads, but we use them & most of us are paying for them. So we should get some freedom on what we can or can’t do. If teachers don’t want us doing certain things in class, they can just watch our screens or just lock us into that certain app that they want us in. It’s as simple as that. So why make it difficult for the students to learn by whitelisting us? If we want to fail, let us fail. Kids will start to realize that they are doing wrong by messing around in class when they get bad grades, get sent to ZAP/ISS or maybe even Swift Creek. Just let us learn on our own faults, it may not be quite right but it will definitely teach a lesson.

[Reply]

4. Isaiah Fernandez on May 9th, 2018 10:32 am

The whitelist system honestly demotivates me to get any of my grades back up. I had solid grades for the whole simester and then because I didn’t do one assignment in Sports Medicine and my grade slipped to a D, I got whitelisted. It’s been about a week now and I realize all my grades have slowly started to decline ever since. Not being able to go on Google and look up certain things that are school appropriate for whatever class I need to improve in is pretty stupid. I understand the reason behind it, but the way I see it, it’s a big demotivator for any students with struggling grades. It also doesn’t make much since to implement this system towards the end of the year with no proper notice. If anything, it should have started next school year.

[Reply]

• SVHS White List Causes Stir

News

National Honors Society Welcomes New Members

• SVHS White List Causes Stir

News

Yearbook Signing Closes Out The SVHS School Year

• News

Millionaire Club Visits Four Seasons

• News

Guided Reading Rumors Dispelled

• SVHS White List Causes Stir

News

Orchestra Trips to Salt Lake

• SVHS White List Causes Stir

News

Treble Tones Named Best in Show

• SVHS White List Causes Stir

News

Seniors Cash in with Scholarship Money

• SVHS White List Causes Stir

News

Barrasso Makes Appearance at SVHS

• SVHS White List Causes Stir

News

Anatomy Field Trip Gives Hands-On Experience

• SVHS White List Causes Stir

News

Star Valley High School Participates in Blood Drive

SVHS White List Causes Stir