Lady Braves Kickstart Season

Macy Erickson, staff writer

Liz Smith stretches for the ball while playing against the Pinedale Lady Wranglers

As sure as Star Valley can count on spring-time snowstorms, SVHS can count on its Lady Braves soccer team being tough competition for other 3A schools. Currently ranked number two in 3A, the Lady Braves are tied with Worland and sit just under the Cody Fillies, who are ranked first. Although the season has only just started, the girls are off to a smashing start!

The first game of the season started off with a tough matchup against Cody, which resulted in the Lady Braves taking a loss of 1-0 in overtime. The shot was scored off of a well-placed free kick that was nearly impossible for junior keeper Josie Currie to defend against. Unfortunately, our girls were unable to come back and score in the Cody game, resulting in a narrow loss.

The following day, the girls ventured over to Powell to give the Lady Panthers a solid thrashing of 4-0. Senior Taya Merrell said, “Cody was tough and it took a lot for us to be able to play against them in the opening game of our season. The next day when we played Powell we honestly should have beat them by more. It was kind of a nice break to get to have a slower paced game, though.”

Following the Powell and Cody games, the Lady Braves faced off against the Pinedale Lady Wranglers, also beating them 4-0. They then ventured to Riverton to face off the Lady Wolverines, beating them 2-1. Fierce winds and hot-headed competition resulted in a bit of a struggle for the Lady Braves, but they managed to pull off a win. Fullback Kayla Dana said, “The Riverton game was rough compared to other games partially because the weather was really working against us for that first half. When they scored to tie the game, I wasn’t worried, I have confidence in my team and their abilities. The girls on the other team were pretty extreme, which definitely made for an entertaining spectacle.”

Last year’s team was chucked full of talented seniors who were certain to be a tough act to follow. This year’s team is also stacked with seniors, though they are not short on talent of their own. The Casper Star Tribune complimented the strength of the team saying, “The Brave’s tandem of Macy Erickson and Taya Merrell give scoring opportunities while an athletic midfield give them shape. There’s plenty of time left but these Braves could be better than last season’s.”

The soccer girls have a bit of a break until they make the trip to Worland for a tournament over Spring-Break weekend. For now, they will be practicing and conditioning to prepare for the state title that they hope to compete for!