SVHS Golf Team takes on the “Big City” and Top Golf

Brenna Battleson, staff writer

The Golf Team recently took on Top Golf in Salt Lake City. Coaches Fullmer and Johnson took 13 members of the SVHS golf team.

For those who don’t know what Top Golf is, Top Golf has 41 locations, 38 in the United States and 3 in England. However, 20 more are coming soon to both the US and Canada, Australia, Mexico, and United Arab Emirates.

Top Golf facilities are 3 story high, massive structures that have hundreds of hitting bays complete with air conditioning or heating, depending on the season. All the bays face a driving range with artificial targets lined with electronic sensors. Each golf ball dispensed is coded to the bay it is dispersed from, so it can give the player a score based on the target hit. Waiters and waitresses serve the golfers in each bay a wide variety of main courses, side dishes, desserts, and drinks.

This is a fun thing for everyone! Since it doesn’t particular take golfing skill to hit the balls out to the targets, anyone can play, but better golfers can play tougher games that are presented and tracked on each bay’s computers.

The team spent a long, fun day there. They went Monday the 26th of February  at 6:30am, started golfing at 11am to 1pm, and were safe and sound at home by 5:30pm.

“We took our golfers mainly for a fun, team-building outing, but playing at Top Golf can also help scrape the rust off winter swings and get our players ready for spring golf,” said Coach Fullmer.

SPECTATORS: Tavin Frazier, Caleb Madsen, Preston Kilroy, and Tyler Hodges watch their teammates play Top Golf and wait for their turn to hit.

“It was a perfect thing to do during the winter time since golfers can’t gold during that season here. It was just like bowling but you were golfing, so it also was completely different. It was super fun, mostly because I have never done it before, it was different. It was such a good time, lots of friendly competitiveness going on,” said junior all-state golfer Kailee Johnson

FORE! Junior Kaylee Merritt get ready to launch her ball to a Top golf target.