Dawson Signs With Wyoming

Kaden W. Robinson, Chief Executive Producer

Following the conclusion of the 2017 Braves football campaign, Josh Dawson, otherwise known as Fat Randy, took a big step in pursing his lifelong dream of playing at the next level.

During his playing career at SVHS, Dawson carried the ball for 2,200 yards, scored 43 touchdowns, and made 180 tackles on the defensive side of the ball.

Dawson had a lot to consider with plans to serve an LDS mission in addition to other colleges and universities, headlined by Montana State, jostling for position to sign him.

Another factor Dawson had to consider was that his older brother, Theo Dawson, had already committed to Wyoming before he left on his LDS mission. With all these factors swirling about, Dawson knew he had a tough decision to make. After long consideration with family and friends, Dawson signed with Wyoming; he will meet up with his brother at Wyoming following their missions.

Golf coach Kelly Fullmer was “impressed” with Dawson’s decision, saying, “I love it when kids from Wyoming sign with the UW. It makes following the Pokes much more interesting.” Many students school-wide have found a new sense of school pride since Dawson committed. Senior Kambel Jenkins said, “It’s pretty cool that a guy can go play Division One ball from little old Star Valley.”

Braves football head coach, McKay Young, when asked if he thought Dawson would have success at the collegiate level responded, “I’m excited for him and know he has the tools to be successful. He is going to have to work hard and embrace the grind.”

Dawson is very happy with his choice. “It’s going to be awesome to get the bash brothers back together,” Dawson stated. “Bash Brothers,” a term coined by Josh, refers back to him and his brothers’s football season at Jackson Hole High School. “To be able to not only represent my home state, but also to play alongside my brother are awesome blessings that I’m grateful for.”

All of us here at the Mountain Star wish Randy the best of luck and hope he has a successful career.