Peter Pan Syndrome

Graduating seniors may not want to grow up, but adulthood awaits nonetheless.

Olivia Muir, staff writer

Growing up is not easy, and many people try to postpone it as much as possible, to stay teenagers and live care free lives, but we all must grow up in some way at some time.

Although staying young forever would be nice, we all must eventually gain some form of responsibility and pull our own weight.  There is a number of reasons people do not want to grow up such as buying your own food, paying bills, and keeping track of your own schedule.

The seniors  are challenged more than any other members of the student body because they are approaching a transitional time in their lives. A time when they are expected to leave the nest and go out on their own as independent adults.

Senior Trevor Clark says “I’m not ready to grow up, but I’m a senior, and I will have to figure it out at some point.”

Being an adult comes with many new and scary things. According to seniors Eli Saberon and Kynzi Erickson, the scariest thing of becoming an adult is all of the unknown factors.

Even though there are many unknown and scary things about growing up, there are still perks. Many  teachers such as Mrs. Taylor and Mrs. Smith both state that they definitely do not wish to be teenagers again. They truly believe that the choices made then heavily impacted their lives.  According  to both teachers, one of the best parts of being an adult is having the freedom to make you make your own decisions. School secretary Tara Johnson states the best part of being an adult, for her, is having a family.

Studies have shown that the age of actual adulthood is getting higher and higher. Kids just don’t want to face the trials of being an adult, but everyone must grow up at some point whether or not they wish to or not. Being an adult does not mean that you cannot have fun, but rather than you have more responsibilities and subsequently more consequences for your decisions.

We all know of an adult that never truly grew up but rather just learned to handle themselves and others. So maybe we truly can stay young at heart but still manage the struggles of adulthood with the smile of a child.

Are you ready for the adult life?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...