Super Fan Location Causing Tension

FREAK SHOW: Super fans stake claim to North side of the gym during basketball game against Evanston on Saturday, Jan 12, 2018

Olivia Muir, staff writer

At Star Valley High School it has always been a tradition for the students to come support and cheer for the teams as super fans. The expectations of super fanning have been set high by past generations of students, and the bar has not been reached for at least 5 years. Less and less super fans are showing up to the games, and now only a few hearty student fans continue to come to games. Instead of cheering in the designated student section, current super fans have staked their claim to the North side of the gym creating conflict with many of the other fans in the gym.

Many fans were upset with the student body in the basketball games on January 12 when the super fans stood up in the North side of the gym in front of the other fans currently sitting there. Activities Director and Vice Principal Rob Erickson had to ask the super fans to sit down.

Erickson said, “I want more people to come and support the teams, but they do not fit in the area they have chosen to stand up in. They are affecting the other fans that have sat in that section for more than 20 years.”

An increase in fans means an increase of space in the student section. The designated area is convenient  for the cheerleaders to lead the cheers and have the band there to help make a roar at the games.

In contrast to that, the super fans believe that that they have a right to stand where they have chosen to cheer. Most of them feel more connected and closer to the action on the north side of the court.

Super fan, Kyle Jensen said, “I would rather super fan underneath the basket, but the designated student section is more organized, and we wouldn’t have to kick people out of their seat, so I would say I prefer the student section.”

On the other hand, some super fans prefer to sit on the north side of the gym.  Leading super fan Kaden Robison said, “Underneath the basket is better because the players like it, and we can see better when the cheerleaders aren’t in front of us. Also we don’t have to sit next to all the cheer moms.”  He describes the north end of the gym as good place to get in the other team’s heads as they shoot free throws.

With the conflict between the students and the school,  a solution must be made. There is a desperate need for more super fans to come to the games; so desperate in fact that SBO’s, cheerleaders, and a handful of students have come together in order to find a solution to solve the drought of super fans this school has been going through the past few years while trying to keep everyone happy with a seating arrangement.

Several suggestions have already been made. For instance, on the days before home games, students who are eligible may get out of fifth hour and have a pep rally to get prepared for the upcoming game. Erickson feels that it is very important to get students to come be a part of the school community and be an appropriate representative of Star Valley High School. So the question is, do we force the super fans to move or do we allow them to stay where they are?