Students Stressed From School

J Scott, copy editor/staff writer

On a scale of 1-4, with 1 being "not at all" and 4 being "very", how stressed are you on average?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Ah, stress. An all too familiar emotion that we students here at SVHS experience. You woke up late? Stress. And the big test is also today. Even more stress. And you have a presentation in another class, a paper due in another (which you have been neglecting for far too long), basketball practice until six, a band concert at seven, and when you finally get home you have six hours worth of homework waiting for you. Oh, and you will need to get to sleep by ten or else you will end up sleeping in.

Again.

While stress may seem like a plague to the average student’s life, it actually does serve a functional purpose. Stress provides the body with a small burst of energy and alertness, and when suffered from in small periods it can help you greatly.

The website Ulifeline explains some of the benefits of stress such as a form of motivation to keep us all on task as we work through our piles of work. It also makes us work much more effectively, and can even improve our memory. Perfect for those horrible Common Assessments.

Stress has even been linked to an improved immune system and can even make your heart healthier. Some test subjects who experienced a moderate level of stress before undergoing a surgery have been shown to recover at a faster rate than individuals who experienced exceptionally high or negligibly low levels of stress.

While all of these are great benefits from stress, when a person’s stress levels get too intense, all of these benefits can be turned on their head. A person who experiences high emotional stress for weeks at a time will start to experience several negative symptoms that are the exact opposite of the benefits that moderate stress provide.

Too much stress can actually decrease a person’s immune system and make them much more susceptible to diseases. Their body will begin to suffer from chronic aches and pains, and they will lose the ability to concentrate and stay motivated. If this level of stress continues for months, then a person could begin to suffer from high blood pressure, depression, and heart disease. The heart is the part of the body that is damaged the most by stress as it creates the hormone epinephrine (more commonly known as adrenaline), and too much of this chemical severally alters the arteries and how they regenerate.

Let us take a quick look at how some of the students at SVHS are doing, stress wise.

Jackson Day Enjoys His Lunch While He Explains His Problem With School

Jackson Day

On a scale on 1-4, how stressed does school make you? 1 being not at all, 4 being a lot.

4, a lot.

What do you do to manage stress?

I don’t know, I just try to keep ahead of everything, and when I don’t I just make sure to try better next time.

What is one thing you could change about school that would reduce the amount of stress you have?

My average Friday, I am here for eleven hours. I come here around six for early morning seminary, I go eight hours through the school day, and then I stay here until six thirty for speech and debate. And then when I go home, I really only have enough time to eat dinner, and do my homework. I think it would be nice if there was no homework.

Madison Brigham

On a scale on 1-4, how stressed does school make you?

1st semester would have been a 4, and this semester would be more of a 2 or a 3.

What do you do to manage stress?

I make a plan of everything I have to do, and I eat.

What is one thing you could change about school that would reduce the amount of stress you have?

If I could have taken college classes at an earlier age I wouldn’t have to take them all in the last two years. I had to take five college classes last semester.

It would seem that our student body is suffering from a pretty high level of stress. How could we change that, and improve the health of our student body? To answer that, the Mountain Star spoke to Mr. Frazier on techniques he suggests students use to mitigate stress.

Mr. Frazier Shares His Sage Wisdom To The Student Body

“It always helps if they can talk to an adult that they trust, even if they just listen. Of course, there are things that have been scientifically proven to help. Things like getting enough sleep, having a routine, and exercise help. Basically all the things teenagers don’t do. And of course if they can’t seem to get through it, and they’re struggling, they can come in to see Mr. Hale or myself, and we can try to look for the root of the problem. A lot of times there is something going on at home, and that is only made worse at school because we dump eight classes on top of it.”

Stress is something we all have to live with, and we all need to make sure that we are within the healthy levels of stress. If you feel like sharing, why not take our poll here. There you can rate how stressed you are on a regular basis, and we can get a feel for how stressed the school is overall.