A Day in South African Life

Remington Roberts, design editor/staff writer

Recently Janice Hall and I made the 24hour plane ride to South Africa. With layovers in Los Angeles and Germany, the two day trip was well worth the adventure, full of many enlightening experiences. The main language of the country is, fortunately enough, English, which made for a great, diverse experience since we were still able to understand what was in the haps everywhere we went. South Africa was amazing just from a cultural diversity standpoint. For instance the strong Muslim and Hindu presence made a new impression on us. The wildlife and vegetation of the area were breath taking and unique.

Trip Highlights:

Layover in Germany- With a ten hour stop in Frankfurt, Germany, we took the opportunity to go and explore the Christmas markets. With the best bratwurst I have ever eaten and the bitter cold, the experience was great. We had the chance to admire architecture and German Christmas—overall, a great stamp in the passport

Walking with Freaking Lions- We took a trip to an animal reservation and research area in Ukutula. We had the chance to walk with real, instinctive adult lions. We petted cheetahs and baby lions and hyenas. Janice said her highlight of the trip came when walking with the lions.

Road Blocks- We journeyed to the Pilanesburg Wildlife Reservation (like South Africa’s Yellowstone Park). In the park we saw elephants, hippos, wildebeests, zebras, giraffes, turtles, rhinos, and warthogs. After watching a bull elephant for too long, he began to show the signs of aggression (head shake and pawing at the dirt). Needless to say there was a lot of reversing on our little safari.

The Indian Ocean & Hippos for Christmas- On both Christmas Eve and Christmas we ventured down to the place where the largest hippo population in South Africa, the coast of Saint Lucia, lives.With hippos roaming the street at night and a basket of pineapple for $1, we were able to go to the Indian Ocean several times and on a hippo cruise. The hippos freely roam the streets of Saint Lucia at night. Due to their lack of sweat glands, they reside in the water during the day, but during the night there is nothing stopping the vicious creatures from parading the town. On Christmas Eve the fattest hippo I witness all trip ran across the road in front of our car. The Indian Ocean is very warm and provides some gnarly waves.

1 Comment

One Response to “A Day in South African Life”

1. Josh brandt on January 5th, 2018 11:26 am

Lions oh my

[Reply]

• A Day in South African Life

Showcase

Students Stressed From School

• A Day in South African Life

News

District Looks to Finalize Next Year’s Calendar

• A Day in South African Life

Showcase

New Years Celebrated Around the Globe

• Showcase

New Year’s Resolutions Usually Fail

• A Day in South African Life

News

Speech Getting Ready to Sound Off

• A Day in South African Life

News

Jury Still out on GOP Tax Plan

• Showcase

I’ll be Happy Next Year I Can…

• Showcase

Bubba & Scott Vacation in Waii

• A Day in South African Life

News

First Annual Winter Formal Sponsored by School Musical

• A Day in South African Life

Showcase

Coon and Randy Visit the Mother Country

A Day in South African Life