New Years Celebrated Around the Globe

Eden Julander, staff writer

New Years is a holiday that has been celebrated worldwide for more than 4000 years.

Most celebrations begin on December 31st, or New Years Eve. The most well know and most practiced New Years tradition is the New Years Kiss. YourTango, author for the Huffington Post states, “According to English and German folklore, the first person you encounter in a new year – and the nature of the encounter – sets the tone for the rest of the year. A kiss is about strengthening ties you wish to maintain in the future. If a couple celebrating together doesn’t take the time to lock lips, it doesn’t bode well for the relationship.”

Another one of the most commonly practiced traditions is fireworks. Fireworks were invented in China in the 7th century. Some say that these small explosions are used for celebration merely because of their bright colors.

In America we have several iconic traditions, but one of the main ones is watching the ball drop. This take place in New York at Times Square. The ball drops 141 feet in exactly one minute, starting at 11:59 p.m. Some of these popular traditions are very well know, but there are some that are not. For example in North Korea they pray in front of colored lanterns, and in Spain they eat twelve grapes on New Years night, and it is said that Spaniards who don’t do this are messing with their fate.

In addition to traditions that are celebrated world-wide, we all celebrate New Years in our own way, at at individual level. Here are a few things that people in our school do for New Years.

Mckay Erickson and his family snowmobile up to the forest service cabins and ring in New Years there.

Daniel Delgado celebrates by opening fortune cookies, letting floating lanterns go, and eating spaghetti with random utensils, and Bridger Roberson gets into the holiday spirit by watching six hours of Parks and Rec.

Whether you celebrate by watching six hours of your favorite T.V. series or by spending the day with family, New Years is always an exciting time of year to celebrate.