Teen Pregnancy Statistics Falling

Lexi Connelly, staff writer

Twenty-Five percent of women are pregnant at least once by their twentieth birthday, and this has caused some people believe it is because of the lack of effective sexual education. Around 35 percent of teen pregnancies end in abortion, and the other 65 percent is divided between those girls who choose to keep their child and those who put them up for adoption.

At such a young age, teen mothers have little or no job skills. With that, they get help from the state for the first year of their child’s life, with such things as Medicaid and food stamps. According to hhs.gov, “In 2014, there were 24.2 births for every 1,000 adolescent females ages 15-19.” Eighty-nine percent of those births came to unmarried couples. In Wyoming, birth rates are 34.6 births per 1,000 girls between the ages of 15-19. Statistics on teen birth rates in Wyoming vary significantly by county population density while birth rates in urban counties are consistently higher than in rural counties.

Birth Rate Data US from 1990-2014 ages 15-19

How do you feel about teen pregnancy? What percentage of the worlds population do you think get pregnant as teens? How many times do you think a teen gets pregnant during their teen years?

Soph Cris B Morales: “I think teen pregnancy is something that a person needs to be careful with. Having a child is not like having a toy. It is stuck with you for the rest of your life. I think about 50% of the world’s population are teen parents. I think [in some place around the world] a teen gets pregnant at least once or twice during their teen years.”

Mrs. Kellie Clinger: “I think a student that gets pregnant would have all the resources they need in front of them. And they would have a lot of choices to make. I have taught teen moms, not here in Star Valley, before, and they have a harder/non-typical road ahead. I think the percentage would be higher in third world countries than in the U.S., but I don’t dare put a number on it. I have never taught a teen mom in Star Valley, but I think when a teen gets pregnant here, they transfer to Swift Creek.”

What happens to students who become pregnant? Do they transfer to Swift Creek? In your years of counseling, how many teen moms still enrolled in school have you worked with between here and SC?

Josh Frazier: “We try to do anything we can to help her get everything setup and see how we can support her. We talk about Swift Creek because they would only have two classes rather than manage 8. We still try to help them get to graduation, and it all depends on where they are at. I have seen about 8-10 that are in school. I actually think that it’s less than it was because students are more educated about the consequences.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Teen Pregnancy Statistics Falling”

1. Samantha on December 6th, 2017 1:13 pm

I come from Florida, and i went to school where teen pregnancy was a very common thing. Getting pregnant during middle school was common. I find it frustrating when people that young of an age, who are still children’s themselves, get pregnant. Why? You might ask? Because of one reason and one reason only. 9 Times out of 10 that responsibility is past to their parents, there was always that 1 that took care of their child. Having a child is not something to joke with or play with but when you are pregnant with a child in middle school or ninth, you are screwing up your life before it even started. I always think, you need a stable job, a stable place to live. I believe you should be able to take care of yourself on your own before you have a child, because babies are expensive, and are easy to deal with. Teen pregnancies isn’t something to play around with because if you don’t have a set life, you might potentially ruin that babies life. Think about the child first. Because once you claim that baby as yours. That’s a done deal. You have to give that baby the love and caring and respect that baby deserves and in return they will do the same for you as they grow.

[Reply]

• Teen Pregnancy Statistics Falling

News

First Annual Winter Formal Sponsored by School Musical

• Teen Pregnancy Statistics Falling

Showcase

Coon and Randy Visit the Mother Country

• Teen Pregnancy Statistics Falling

Editorials

SVHS’ Policy On Transgender Students Largely Dependent on State

• News

Treble Vibes it up at Jazz Game!

• Teen Pregnancy Statistics Falling

News

Prayer Policy Updated and Enforce

• Teen Pregnancy Statistics Falling

Entertainment

Stranger Things Season 2 Delights Fans

• Teen Pregnancy Statistics Falling

Showcase

High School Stereotypes

• Teen Pregnancy Statistics Falling

News

Musicians Play Original Composition at State Strings

• Teen Pregnancy Statistics Falling

Features

Advisors, Coaches Discuss Current Drug/Alcohol Policy

• Teen Pregnancy Statistics Falling

Showcase

Braves’ Win Streak Ends at 16

Teen Pregnancy Statistics Falling