Prayer Policy Updated and Enforce

AMEN: Coaches and players kneel in prayer after the Braves vs the Green River Wolves football game in October. This image, originally published by the Star Valley Independent, began a process that has resulted in coaches no longer praying with players .

Josh Dawson, staff writer

For years coaches have bowed their heads along side their players in Star Valley prior to competition. Hardly unique, many coaches, advisors, athletes and activity participants around the country take part in group prayer. And they still can here, without their coaches and advisors.

Controversy about players and coaches praying together as a team reached a peak after the Green River Star Valley football game in Green River as both players and coaches from both teams knelt in prayer for injured athletes hurt in the game.

An image of this prayer was published on the Star Valley Independent web site where a watchdog group saw it and subsequently claimed the act violated the separation of church and state. The claim caught traction and as a result, at least at SVHS, coaches and advisors will no longer pray with their activity participants and athletes.

Athletic Director for SVHS Mr. Robert Erickson said, “It’s not a matter of policy, it’s a matter of constitutional right that has been ruled on by the supreme courts. ”

He is referring to the “Separation of Church and State” which states “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…” .