Kaden’s Sport Musings

Dual-Threat quarterbacks still at a premium in the NFL.

Kaden Robinson, staff writer

Today’s quarterbacks are separated into two groups. You have your traditional sit-in-the pocket quarterbacks. Then you have your dual-threat quarterbacks.

Some may argue that the latter do not have the precise throwing arms that traditional quarterback may have. While this may be true, what they may lack in the throwing game, they make up for it in their running game, something the traditional quarterback lacks. I am going to breakdown the best dual threat quarterbacks in the modern era.

1. Michael Vick. Vick was the hallmark of the dual threats. His amazing running capability, accompanied by his powerful arm, led him to become one of the top QB’s in the whole league. He was a full-fledged stud with a legendary career who started his career in Atlanta with the Falcons and led them to be a top tier team. The thing that held Vick back was his off-field issues. In the middle of his career, he was arrested and put in jail for his role in a dog fighting ring. After spending a couple years in jail, he was released and restarted his career with the Philadelphia Eagles where he never did reach the peaks he achieved in Atlanta. Despite his mess up, Vick was an offensive juggernaut. He made offenses look silly be slicing the defense apart through the air or breaking ankles as he sprinted down the field.                                                                                                                                                                                   Stats:
    TD-INT 33–88
    Passing yards: 22,464
    Passer rating: 80.5
    Rushing yards: 6,109
    Rushing touchdowns: 36
  2.  Cam Newton. This athletic beast is the best dual threat in the league today. At 6’5 and 250 pounds, he plows through defenders. His height allows him to look over his lineman and make deep passes down the field. His massive frame and explosive speed allow him to bully his way down the field. The 2015 league MVP is not slowing down yet either. At age 28 he has not lost a step. He is still putting up amazing numbers through the air and torching defenders as he runs down the field. As long as he is at the helm of the Carolina offense, they will have success.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Stats:
    TD-INT 141–83
    Passing yards: 22,654
    Completion %: 58.7
    Passer rating: 86.1
    Rushing yards: 3,656
    Rushing touchdowns: 50
  3. Tyrod Taylor. The current Buffalo Bills QB, maybe the most underrated QB in the league, has incredible running ability that is matched by his passing ability. The Pro Bowl QB’s career is still young, and he has plenty of football still left to play, but at 6’1, 200 pounds, he has great size and also runs a 4.5 second 40 yard dash. He can burn by any defender that tries to get in his way.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Stats:
    TD-INT 41–15
    Percentage: 62.7
    Passing yards: 6,819
    Passer rating: 92.8
    Rushing yards: 1,390
    Rushing touchdowns: 11
  4. Vince Young. During his collegiate days at Texas, Young was a freak of nature. After defeating USC in his senior year for the national championship, he headed for the NFL. His short career was a good one. He was drafted by the Tennessee Titans and started 4 years there. He was named the NFL Rookie Offensive Player of the year. The two-time Pro Bowler hung up his helmet too early, according to some. Young was a dangerous weapon in his prime,and will always be remembered for taking down the very talented USC trojans. Stats:
    TD-INT 46–51
    Passing yards: 8,964
    Passer rating: 74.4
    Completion percentage: 57.9
    Rushing yards: 1,459
    Rushing touchdowns: 12

Upcoming Dual Threats:

Houston Texans Deshaun Watson. (2016 National Champion)

Louisville Cardinals Lamar Jackson. (2016 Heisman Winner)

Tennessee Titans Marcus Mariota. (2014 Heisman Winner)

Needless to say all of these QB’s are freak athletes and are highly regarded dual threat quarterbacks.

1 Comment

One Response to “Kaden’s Sport Musings”

1. Gage Kennington on October 9th, 2017 3:32 pm

Why didn’t you put Aaron Rodgers?

[Reply]

• Kaden’s Sport Musings

Showcase

Braves Ready for Challenge in Green River

• News

What Happened to Fridays Off?

• Kaden’s Sport Musings

Showcase

What’s your Brew?

• Showcase

What Do The Stars Say About You – Pluto Week

• Kaden’s Sport Musings

Showcase

Percentage of SVHS Athletes Higher Than National Averages

• News

National Anthem Divides Country

• Features

Online Classes Here to Stay

• Features

Depression Affects Student Life

• Kaden’s Sport Musings

Showcase

School Dances Need More Dancers

• Kaden’s Sport Musings

Features

All-State Music Season is here

Kaden’s Sport Musings