School Dances Need More Dancers

RAINBOW RAVE: Informal dances, like the first icebreaker dance in August, have become the norm.

Mikayla Finn, staff writer

It’s no secret that attendance at our school dances has gotten smaller over the years. Everyone used to make huge deal about school dances, but now it’s a struggle to get students to come to them. Many of the once-formal dances have now become informal affairs in hopes of getting more students to show up. For example, the recent homecoming dance, traditionally formal, now welcomes singles in blue jeans. Which do students prefer? Give your thoughts in the comments section below.

Dillan Townsend

Q: Would you rather a have formal or informal dance?

A: I would rather have a formal dance. I honestly would love that. People love getting dressed up, especially the girls. The day date is always so much fun too. 

Q: What do you think would make a dance more fun?

A: The dj. The music needs to be good, and if it’s a formal, there needs to be more slow songs. 

Gavin Patterson

Q: Would you rather have a formal or informal dance?

A: Formal. It is a fun experience for everyone and the girls and boys enjoy getting dressed up for something. 

A: Prizes, stuff to participate in, raffle draws, etc. I think if we can get the students involved in something at a dance, that would be an incentive to come. I would also like to see better music that is appropriate and  fun to dance to. Also, there needs to be more slow songs. 

Noah Hutchinson 

Q: Would you rather have a formal dance or informal dance?

A: Formal because we need more than just prom.

Students seem to prefer formal dances, but by their attendance at previous formals like Homecoming, you wouldn’t know it.  

Student leaders are tossing around the idea of holding a winter formal. Please respond to the survey at the bottom of this article or leave a comment; we would really love some feedback about what you think would make a dance better. Think about whether you would want it formal or not, what a kind of music you prefer, and  what activities you would like to see.

What would motivate you to attend a school dance?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

11 Comments

11 Responses to “School Dances Need More Dancers”

1. India Romero on October 3rd, 2017 12:56 pm

Maybe lower prices? 🤔

[Reply]

2. Sophia Kirk on October 3rd, 2017 1:25 pm

If you want people to show up to formal dances don’t put so much emphasis on Sadie’s being the only dance that the girls can ask the guys to. Girls don’t want go to formal dances if they don’t get asked but I think we should encourage girls to ask guys to ANY formal dance that they want to go. Yes most girls would prefer to get asked but I feel that because of society and the way that the school goes about putting dances together makes girls feel like they CAN’T ask the guys. Girls are more than capable of “hiking up their skirts” and asking guys. So we shouldn’t make it seem like Sadie’s is the only dance that girls can ask the guys to!!!

[Reply]

3. Ethan Rogers on October 3rd, 2017 1:51 pm

I like formal dances. They are a lot more fun.

[Reply]

4. Liv Binns on October 3rd, 2017 2:34 pm

I definitely agree that we need more formal dances but from personal experiences, it’s pretty hard to find a dress that fits all of the dress code requirements. Also we need to get someone who knows how to equalize the speakers so it’s not all bass🤣🤣 and we have to have different genres of music; not just rave music.

[Reply]

5. Frenchie on October 3rd, 2017 3:17 pm

I use to dream away when I was a little girl over the formal dances at the high school and now that I’m in high school the only formal dance there has been is prom and it’s kinda sad

[Reply]

6. Kyle Hoopes on October 3rd, 2017 3:23 pm

I went to the homecoming dance this year and I was disappointed.Me and my friend were late so we missed the slow song.I really am not into the rap junk and I would really appreciate it if you would do more slow songs.I also think it’s fun to dress up.Thanks!

[Reply]

7. Lizzy Moffat on October 3rd, 2017 5:40 pm

I love dances and I do want to go to them but I usually don’t have time. My friends and I are always talking about how fun it would be even if we didn’t stay the whole time but these days not everyone has time on there hands to spare.

[Reply]

8. Billy ray on October 3rd, 2017 6:29 pm

Yu boi

[Reply]

9. Wesley Kallgren on October 4th, 2017 12:32 pm

Along with my vote on the survey I have to say better music from the DJ and more slow songs

[Reply]

10. Gage Heiss on October 4th, 2017 8:20 pm

I have to say I think people would go to more dances if there were better songs.

[Reply]

11. Lizzy Kennington on October 6th, 2017 8:47 am

Ya better songs the better I know the song the fun I have and the snacks are good to just need better chooses like jerk and better chips but the most thing I think there should be is better songs

[Reply]

School Dances Need More Dancers