Misuse Prompts Remind App Removal

Mikayla Finn, staff writer

The app “Remind” has been removed from our schools iPads, but not for no reason. Apparently, students have been misusing the app as another social media app instead of the academic purposes it was intended for.

Such use includes continued texting in class and not paying attention to the teacher or using it to share inappropriate material. In the past, administration has tried to contain violations of the apps use, but it has become too widespread and severe enough for them to take it away. Infinite Campus and Canvas will now be the only apps students can use to communicate.

Teachers Thoughts:

Tara Johnson (School Secretary)

Q: What are your thoughts about them taking away the app?

A: I am very sad that something that is so convenient has been abused. I am disappointed that students in our school cannot be mature enough to use technology wisely enough. Those that have benefitted from it now have lost that opportunity. 

Ben Hale (Counselor)

Q: What are your thoughts on this, especially since you know everything behind this app getting taken away?

A: I wish students would use it wisely and responsibly enough to keep it. It was such an amazing tool that I know some students really benefitted from it. It is disappointing 

Mr. Sand

A: I am upset because that was the main app I used as communication to my band students. I could inform them about any last minute ideas I had about the marching show or anything they needed to bring to practice next time. I also am upset about this because the parents could sign onto my remind and allow them to know what was going on.